Any government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take away everything you have." -- Thomas Jefferson

Friday, September 02, 2005

Hurricane Katrina

It is amazing to me how tragic this debacle is, especially in our Country. One person put it like this: "Jesus will be here before the National Guard will." You know what is really sad (possibly great, though) is that he just may be correct. Things are changing. People are willing to help, but nothing is being done. I just wish I could get in a helicopter myself and drop off a few thousand tons of water and food to the people in New Orleans and Mississippi. But, I'm only one man.

There is something that we can do, even if you don't have any money to give. Not that I have seen the Red Cross using the money that they are getting, anyway. There are several websites that offer a way to offer your guest bedroom, your house, or even a couch to people that need a place to stay. Do you realize that many people are spread out throughout the Southeast that only planned to stay for a a day or two? How long could you survive? The websites are www.shareyourhome.org; www.hurricanehousing.org (unfortunately a subsidiary of MoveOn.org); www.craigslist.org; and www.katrinahousing.org.

Please help these people if you can. God Bless You.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey James!
So I did check out your blog...I'm not typically into these things but curiosity got the best of me. Of course I had to go straight to reading your thoughts on Katrina. Ditto. My only comment is in regards to the Red Cross. In the beginning I thought the Red Cross was not being fair with money donated...not distributing it as it should be used. I have since learned otherwise and am most grateful for the American Red Cross. Because of this organization and the donations of so many, all of my family members had their roof covered in less than a week. Red Cross provided the vaccinations needed for all of us to tour our very own neighborhood our first trip home. Each morning, even though I am blessed to have a standing home and a car to drive, the Red Cross left a bag of necessities at our doorstep so that luxuries like brushing your teeth could still be had. Red Cross is immediate relief only and seldom remains in any area for more than 30 days. 11 weeks since the storm, the Red Cross is still feeding my family, providing full medical care and contributing to the high cost of evacuation expenses we all incurred. When our government failed to step in on time, the Red Cross was there along with countless other organizations such as United Way, Salvation Army and Faith Based organizations. I never thought my family would need the help of these groups. I am now forever blessed to know they are out there. I have recently heard so much from people uncertain about whether their donations have been wisely used through the Red Cross. Maybe hearing it from someone first hand will clear that a little. Yes they will be pulling out very soon but the time they have given to the people of my home is invaluable.
Please continue to keep those in New Orleans and along the MS Gulf Coast in your prayers as we work towards rebuilding our home.